Christian Taylor Buchanan

Christian Taylor Buchanan

Friday, May 23, 2014

Miracle at 705 Riley Drive

Miracles still happen. I know because I am raising one. They are not just something in the Bible that happened long ago. They are not just wishes we make when we blow out our birthday candles (although that's lots of fun to do.)



Miracles still happen. I know because today I witnessed one. Today was surgery number 6 for my sweet little Christian. I have been dreading it. It never gets easier and each time is always a little different, so there is only so much to be said for "preparing." How do you prepare yourself to place your entire life into the hands of a stranger in scrubs? How do you prepare yourself to see the love of your life scared, confused, and in pain, all while you are totally helpless to make it stop? That's kind of what it's like each time. And although I always spend the several days before surgery crying profusely and constantly in prayer, and although nothing I do makes it easier to bear when the time comes, each time I witness a miracle.

Today was probably one of the most amazing miracles so far. It's so amazing what God will do sometimes. I've been praying for Christian and the doctors for over a month now. I asked God to give the doctors the skills and wisdom to perform the surgery, I even asked Him to give them a good nights rest the night before surgery so they could have a clear mind that day. For Christian, I prayed especially for good pain control, that he have peace before and after surgery, and honestly, just that I would get to hold him again once this was all over.

But God did so much more.

Christian's cleft palate, before any surgery, was 18mm wide. That number doesn't mean much to anyone who isn't a plastic surgeon until you compare it with other cleft palates. What most surgeons would consider a "hard to close" cleft palate is around 10 to 12mm wide. Christian's is almost double that. Comparably, that's a huge amount of space to fill in the roof of his mouth.

When he went in today, Dr. Flores, Christian's surgeon, explained to us that he couldn't give us exact details about what would happen during surgery because it would all depend on Christian's tissue and muscles once he got into his mouth. The goal was to close Christian's soft palate, and he gave us a few examples of how that might play out once surgery began. What Dr. Flores thought would probably happen is that he would pull Christian's palate together from the right and the left, but there wouldn't be enough tissue there to reach all the way across. So, to fill in that gap, he would do what is called a pharyngeal flap where he would cut tissue from Christian's throat and, leaving it attached to the throat at one point, flap it toward the palate and use that tissue to cover the hole. Although pharyngeal flaps are  not new, combining one with a cleft palate closure is. Dr. Flores had never performed this operation before. In fact, he created this procedure just for Christian. Although there are always risks with surgery, that creates a bigger risk. The flap that would be created would cause some swelling in his throat that otherwise wouldn't happen. Swelling in the throat can mean difficulty breathing. This was my biggest fear for this surgery, that Christian would have trouble breathing on his own.

That is why I especially put out requests for prayer for this surgery. I will be honest when I say that I was scared out of my mind this time around. I'm scared every time, but this time was more intense. This time I knew that there was a greater chance (however small) that A`when I handed Christian over to the nurse that I might never see him again. I know that is always a risk you take when there is surgery, but this time the risk was so much more real. This time there were sobs instead of just silent tears.  And as I handed him over, I told him how much I love him, knowing that it could be my very last chance to say it to him.

It's funny to me to hear people say I'm so strong, because in moments like these, I don't feel the least bit strong. My body literally shakes with fear, my legs will barely carry my weight, my voice cracks and breaks and I basically have to force the words out. The night before surgery, I laid in the floor next to Christian's bed and cried most of the night because I was too scared to leave his side. I think sometimes people picture me standing courageously by Christian's hospital bed as we face these trials, when really I spent yesterday getting sick in the waiting room bathroom during our 3 and a half hour wait. I was even afraid to ask God for the best surgery outcome possible because I was just desperate for Christian to make it through and didn't want to push my luck.

But God knew what lay ahead for Christian long before it ever happened, and His plans are good and His plans are not persuaded by my fears. Thank God that He understands my weakness and when I struggle with my faith, He isn't angry with me. He just restores and strengthens my faith instead.

When Dr. Flores began operating on Christian's palate, he found that the gap in Christian's soft palate had narrowed. Not by a ton, but in Christian's case, every millimeter counts. Dr. Flores wasn't able to explain exactly how it happened, but we all agreed: We don't care how it happened, we're just happy it did. So basically because the gap in Christian's palate had narrowed, Dr. Flores was able to forego the pharyngeal flap. He was able to pull Christian's palate together from the left and right and reach all the way to the middle just like he would in a patient with a typical cleft palate. THAT, my friends, is a miracle.

We've all agreed that we aren't sure "medically" how it happened that Christian's palate narrowed some on it's own, but we all know the truth. God is faithful and we are thankfully. We witnessed a miracle today at 705 Riley Drive. It isn't the first we've seen and I'm sure it won't be the last.






49 comments:

  1. What a truly amazing miracle! God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought tears to my eyes! Miracles can and do happen every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our God is a Wonderful God! and our Christian is an awesome little boy! We love you all!

    Annette Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen...Praise GOD...HE IS GOOD AND HE IS FAITHFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I read any post/blog/update about your precious boys, I put myself right into it as if it was myself writing it. With that being said, reading this one my heart broke, and I cried, and I didn't go through this traumatic time like you did. I cannot even begin to fathom what you go through! I just want you to know how inspiring you and your husband are! As a mother it is your job to worry about the worst and wish/pray for the best! I have never come anywhere close to what you endure everyday, and for that I am truly thankful! As you know, you have a HUGE team of support rooting for your family day in and day out! We are all so greatful that you share your beautiful boys with us and show us a perfect example of how humankind should act!

    Okay so now that I have mumbled on, I hope and wish the recovery goes as well as surgery did! <3 =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "His plans are not persuaded by my fears." Thank you for that! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. God has huge plans for your little boy !

    ReplyDelete
  8. God did that give me goosebumps!!!! Every child is a miracle and god has given u a miracle for sure! He's not done with christian! He's almost up there to having a "normal life"! I went through the same exact experience with Noah only being 4 months old. I was scared that he wasnt going to make it because pediatrician said if we waited a couple more days Noah wouldnt have made it. Btw strong people are the ones who do struggle the most when hard situations occur but it is those who rise back up after being low to the ground. Strong people are the ones who show there true emotion and whats really going on on the otherside. :) God bless all of you! ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in tears right now!!! Miracles do happen, you just have to believe. And, I don't care what you say, you're a super mom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew God would show us that he has this and with all the prayers this little boy is receiving, he showed us that he never fails us. It's pretty obvious why Christians palate narrowed as much as it did. God's hands did it. He made this procedure .....#1 Possible for the doctors to handle, ......#2. Made it easier on Christian to bear and.........#3. He heard the prayers and helped make it easier on you and your family to overcome. God is amazing and he shows us he is if we just ask. Thank God Christian got through surgery #6 and we will be there praying for him through his next surgery's as well. God is Good!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our Father is so amazing and yes still performs miracles today. I cried as I read your post because I understand your feelings as a mother of a grown child with a cleft lip. I also have learned through life you cannot understand what someone is going through until you have experienced the same thing. I know Christians surgeries are so much more serious and complex than with our daughter however as I read your description of what you feel and your tears and prayers I felt the same way. Will continue to remember you and your family in our prayers and will follow your updates. I would love to speak with you in person and meet you someday and especially precious Christian. A big hug from one Mom to another and for Christian! Becky Abbott

    ReplyDelete
  12. God sure does do the greatest things :) So happy for you all <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a might God we serve!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. God is awesome! ! So thankful for the Lord restoring your faith. Your family is always in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a miracle that Christians palate had narrowed, your heart must have skipped a beat when you heard the fantastic news, I love every video and picture you post of your precious boy Christian, he has a special place in my heart and look forward to hearing about him for many years to come, you are a fantastic Mum Lacey, Christian and Chandler are very lucky boys xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. this made me cry, i'm so happy for you all and mostly for christian...i hope he has a speedy recovery...can't keep superman down!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The miracle is continuing also in that he is already trying to talk and is up playing. He is recovering rapidly. Thank you God for blessing this family and this child with the touch of Your almighty hand. We thank You also for allowing us to see Your work through the life of this child.

    ReplyDelete
  18. glory be to god and christians wonderful support system

    ReplyDelete
  19. U are a wonderful mom to that amazing boy...god bless you and ur family always.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was lovely to read this,the faith you,your family,friends and followers have is the reason God made another miracle. God bless you all and I really hope Christian heals well and does not suffer too much pain love to your baby boy too and your husband xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stay strong .. I'm a father of 3 and know exactly what you feel when you recall handing your child over pre surgery...not knowing. .hardest thing any parent can do. It's harder than submitting yourself for surgery.I have had more than my fare share.. (I'm ex Forces ) Experiences such as these make you stronger and tell us who we are.. I read your post on Facebook. What and inspiration you all are and especially your little Superman Christian. Keep strong and keep the Love flowing ..onwards ..Paul Welling and family xXx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you dear Lord for watching over this little boy and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stay strong .. I'm a father of 3 and know exactly what you feel when you recall handing your child over pre surgery...not knowing. .hardest thing any parent can do. It's harder than submitting yourself for surgery.I have had more than my fare share.. (I'm ex Forces ) Experiences such as these make you stronger and tell us who we are.. I read your post on Facebook. What and inspiration you all are and especially your little Superman Christian. Keep strong and keep the Love flowing ..onwards ..Paul Welling and family xXx

    ReplyDelete
  24. God had something special planned for that little boy and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A miracle indeed! PTL! Even Abraham Lincoln said "I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go." Yes Lacey, you are a strong, courageous, and giving woman of God, filled with perseverance, grace, and hope. How blessed are Christian and Chandler to call you their Mom. I don't post too often, but I do read every word you post. Thank you so much for taking the time to update us on Christian... he, you, and your family, are such a joy to know, even if it is only virtual. My prayers will continue for you all. Blessings to you and yours dear lady. Love and hugs, Marsha "Grace"

    ReplyDelete
  26. When you said that people think you are so strong, I thought of the words: "His strength is made perfect in our weakness." God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  27. My prayers are with you and your little boy, and yes God is good. This just brought tears to my eyes and know god is hearing everyone pray for this little super hero....

    ReplyDelete
  28. this make me cry reading this. I am so glad Christian has had many miracles but especially this miracle. This is surely a great one in deed. I am glad that even though more things lie ahead for him that this one is out of the way. he is such a happy little man and it makes me smile every time I see his pictures. Little man ur a true Super Hereo we need more like these out here. God is a very loving full of miracles Thank you Jesus for this little Miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  29. God is good. He is working miracles through this little boy Christian. Prayers are being said daily for this sweet baby.He is truly a super hero an so many great things are ahead for him. I can not imagine what you are going through. When you passed your son off I know it was heart wringing. I pray for you to that you will continue to have strength and faith.I am amazed at what a wonderful mother you are to both of your boys.The news today is awesome and we all know God has his hands on Christian.I love this little boy an Thank you for sharing him to the world!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for sharing.So happy God gave that sweet baby a miracle.I love seeing God in action!Thank you for the testimony!It brought happy tears!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Truly a miracle thank you God :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I always believe in miracles. God is able! He is the ultimate healer. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is amazing!!! I had a good feeling when I prayed for him and you that it was going to be alright I looked at his pictures before n after surgery. He did really good he's a strong Lil boy and he has his guardian angels by his side always. Your doing a wonderful job raising him. Ps: I cried a Lil while reading this too.I love seeing all your posts of you n the boys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So Awesome! God is a great God.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes after reading this. You have such strong faith! Its amazing what prayer can do. U have an amazing lil man there! Hugs to u all!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am so happy to hear it was easier on this little miracle child! we all love him so much thank you for sharing!!! God bless you and all of yours

    ReplyDelete
  37. May I quote you, please?

    "It's funny to me to hear people say I'm so strong, because in moments like these, I don't feel the least bit strong."

    ReplyDelete
  38. He is a blessing. I'm glad to share my birthday with him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your Child Is A Blessing From GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. So happy for the Miracle for Christian! My daughter Renee Webb was always staying close to Christian's story she loved that little boy! But she passed away with cancer in April and that is a hurt I will never get over. But I think she knows about Christian's Miracle and she is smiling down with joy for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  41. MY HEART IS LOST FOR WORDS.... BUT I DO WANNA SAY I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING CHRISTAINS STORY... HE IS AMAZING LITTLE BOY.... TOUCHES MY HEART SO MUCH AND HIS MOMMA IS THE GREATEST... GOD GAVE THIS LITTLE BOY TO HER BECAUSE HE KNEW SHE WOULD BE THE PERFECT MOM TO FIGHT FOR HIS LIFE... LOVE THIS FAMILY DEARLY.... GOD IS GREAT AND GOD MAKES NO MISTAKES..... ONE DAY WE WILL ALL HAVE NEW BODYS... SO WILL CHRISTAIN!... THIS IS JUST A SHELL WE ARE IN....... WE ALL LOOK DIFFERENT BUT OUR SOULS ARE ALL THE SAME IN GOD EYES..... CHRISTAIN IS LUCKY TO HAVE HIS MOM.....

    ReplyDelete
  42. I cried reading this post.What a faithful strong family. God bless you & Christian and his amazing doctors. I will now favorite your blog & look forward to updates about Christian. Prayer is powerful!
    God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  43. God bless your sweet little baby! God is good all the time...

    ReplyDelete