Skip to main content

It's a boy!

I started this blog with the day Christian was born. Now I want to backtrack a little to our first ultrasound.  I am sure that other parents with special needs children have been through this same experience and felt the same hopelessness and helplessness of expecting a child that you know will not be "healthy."

We had been to the doctor to have our first ultrasound and to find out what sex our baby was. We were SOOO excited. We watched as the ultrasound tech checked out the baby. We counted fingers and toes, watched him wiggle around, and waited for the big news. Finally, she got it!! The tech showed us the baby parts and said "Ok here it is. Can you guess? Boy or Girl?" I was looking, but I couldn't tell. Then Chris yelled, "I see his dingy!!!" We had our little boy!!! We were so excited! I almost came up off the table because I couldn't keep still. We left that day on cloud 9.

An ultrasound from the day we found out he was a boy.
My belly the day of our first ultrasound.

We were so happy!
 A few days later we got a call from the doctors office. They were concerned about the ultrasound and wanted us to come back in and have a second ultrasound. Our hearts were broken. When we got the second ultrasound, the doctor's suspicions were confirmed. Our little boy was diagnosed with a bilateral cleft palate and lip. We were crushed. How could this happen to us? Why did this happen to us? We're good people, why do we deserve this? Where was God in all this and why did He let our child have something wrong? What were we going to do? How were we going to watch our son go through surgery? How would this affect his life? So many questions. So much heartache. I cried myself to sleep for days. I couldn't think about anything else. We were devastated. Little did we know that the worst news was yet to come. Looking back, I would celebrate if all Christian had was a cleft. I would be relieved.

Comments

  1. oh honey,
    i don't know how you delt with knowing something was wrong for that long. but you are a very strong woman. you and chris both have such strong love for this little boy, and he deserves it. i'm keeping up with your blog and it breaks my heart to know what you've gone through. i just wanna cry. keep your heads up and just know that God is with you. love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melisha! We have been through some rough spots! Let me tell you! But don't worry, the story won't end bad! I know the first few posts are sad, but the ending will be happy! I hope other parents with special needs kids will see this and know they aren't alone. Because feeling alone in it is just as bad! I want this to help people, not just tell a story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive been there... we knew i had a 50% chance of having a baby with craniofacial birth defects. That is the only difference between me & u. Thats why i feel so connected to u.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this post! God knew what he was doing. Christian deserved to live and God knew that you were the only parents in the world for him. You are so strong and special. God knew that you would raise him to love God and to appreciate all the good in his life!

    My love and thoughts with you always.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Won't Allow My Toddler to Have Cosmetic Surgery

It strikes me as odd that I have been asked many, many times if I will have Christian undergo cosmetic surgery to repair his birth defect. Apparently, it's not an odd question to most people, because I could not tell you how many times I've been asked. The number literally lurks somewhere close to 500, if I had to guess. I am not AT ALL offended by the question, and I enjoy explaining my answer, but still, I find it odd to be asked. Imagine your beautiful child that you simply adore. Her little button nose, those ears he got from his daddy, that little smile with that one not-so-straight tooth right up front, those freckles that dot her cheeks, that bright red hair, or that jet black hair. As you imagine that, I am sure you have a few emotions that go along with it: adoration, admiration, love. You probably think that your child is the prettiest thing you've laid eyes on. Well, when I look at my child, with tissue in the place of where eyes should be, and a crooked s

My Experiences with Bullying

For anyone who follows us on Facebook, you have probably, at one time or another, seen someone make a rude or hateful comment on a photo I've posted of Christian. It has been happening pretty much since he was born. In fact, much of the reason that I decided to make the video that went viral was because of all the negative comments that we would receive, whether through social media or face to face when we were out in public with Christian. And I have to say, I am tired of it. I sometimes find myself unable to deal with a hateful comment on a particular day, or exhausted with the idea of checking my email and finding another rude comment left on my YouTube Channel. So this blog is my outlet to vent my frustrations and share my wisdom on the matter. I consider myself a professional at handling bullying, after all, considering all the bullying I've dealt with over the last few years. At first, the comments hurt. I remember the day that I first took Christian out in in public

Was That Rude?

At the Christmas parade last weekend!  Hey everyone! Christian and I experienced something recently that I wanted to talk about and share with you all! We were at his therapy center for him to do his regular physical and feeding therapy, and we were standing at the car because his therapist comes out to the car to get him to go into therapy and then  brings him back outside to the car so that we aren't waiting in the lobby. We have been really cautious since long before COVID was a thing about germs and illness because illnesses always seem to hit Christian really hard.  And then of course my dad almost died in February from COVID. So we just try to stay out of heavily populated places when we can and take common sense precautions like regular handwashing. So, one way we try to keep the germs down is to not wait inside the lobby of Christian's therapy center and instead we just wait in the car for therapies.  So anyway, we were standing next to our car with his therapist, and a